You think making a 3d animal is going to be difficult? Think again! You can make your animal as simple, complicated, and detailed as you want. It’s going to be recognizable, as long as you keep a few design elements in mind. This class is perfect if you want to work on your 3d carving skills. You’ll learn how to make simple but recognizable carvings. How to add detail to make it more realistic. And how to make bold decisions when it’s not looking like you want it to.
- Draw simple designs on wax
- Shaping the wax with files, burrs and carving tools
- Hold your wax without breaking the delicate parts
- Objectively look at your wax and see what needs work
- Make scary changes to the wax, to make it look better
- Decide if you want to make your carving generic or specific, simple or complex
- Patience! It takes a long time to get a carving looking just right :)
Tools and materials
- Wax slices/wax block
- Saw + sawblades
- Hand files + needle files
- Dividers + ruler
- Carving tools
- Permanent marker
- Micro motor/foredom and ball burrs (different sizes)
- 34 page PDF with photos and written instructions. You can download the PDF for easier access.
- 4 instructional videos, around 90 minutes total
- Opportunity to ask questions
- Client brief. 1 Page outline for an animal carving project
- Lifetime access to all the material
Sound good? Then don't wait and
Hi I’m Sandy. I learned jewellery making, including wax carving, at the school of jewellery in Dublin. After finishing my course, I taught at the school for a year and I also taught a wax carving workshop at Lucy Walker Jewellery in Kuala Lumpur. After learning all the basics of wax carving, I practiced and experimented A LOT. Something didn’t work out the first time I tried it? No problem, just try again (and again and again…) until it does work! Practice really is the only way to get better at something :) I made this class to help you in your wax carving journey. It’s made with love (and some exasperated sighs and curses when things don’t go like I want them to). I love wax carving and I’m excited to teach you!